Whether you have chronic back pain or are recovering from an acute muscle injury, a chiropractor can help you eliminate pain, increase mobility, and improve the quality of your life. Kitchener chiropractors are trained experts that specialize in non-surgical treatments for conditions that involve your nervous and musculoskeletal system.
If you’ve never visited a chiropractor before, it’s only natural that you are feeling a little anxious about what to expect. Perhaps you’re wondering if it’ll be painful or if you’ll be twisted like a pretzel. To help ease your mind, here is what you can expect during your first visit to a chiropractor.
What The Chiropractor Will Do
Your first visit will likely last 30 to 45 minutes, depending on your injury or treatment goals. Your chiropractor is likely to focus on three main things:
● Identify the root of the problem
● Build a therapeutic relationship between themselves and you
● Develop and discuss a customized treatment for you
They will also ask you about your medical history as any pre-existing conditions or family medical history can help identify your best course of treatment. For example, your chiropractor may ask:
● What’s the main issue you’re currently experiencing?
● Can you describe the type of pain you’re experiencing? Is it sharp? Radiating? Or Burning?
● What major illnesses or surgeries have you had?
● Do you have any chronic conditions?
● Do any of your family members have similar medical problems?
● What’s your daily routine like?
● What’s your diet and exercise like?
What A Chiropractic Exam Involves
After reviewing your paperwork, your chiropractor will do a physical exam, which can include:
● Movement analysis- they may ask you to walk, bend or reach for things to see how your body moves currently
● Range of motion checks- they may twist your body in different ways or gently press on areas to help
identify the source of the problem
● Reflex and sensation tests
● Posture analysis
What A Chiropractic Adjustment Involves
A chiropractic adjustment is painless in most cases. Your chiropractor may pull, push or rotate a section of your body to stretch your joints and the surrounding tissue. If you hear popping noises, don’t worry! These are entirely normal and are only due to air bubbles being released within joints, just like cracking your knuckles. Some people also report instant relief after an adjustment.
What To Do After Your Visit
Your chiropractor will give you advice and additional information about subsequent visits. They may also provide you with a home exercise program as well as order X-rays in some cases.
If you had a chiropractic adjustment, you’re likely to feel a little muscle soreness immediately after. The soreness should subside as your spine and muscle adapt to the new and improved function.
Are you looking for trusted acupuncture or chiropractor in Kitchener? Visit Goss Chiropractic today! At Goss Chiropractic, your health and comfort are our priority. Whether you’re dealing with a recent injury or a chronic condition, I am here to assist you in your recovery. Live pain-free today with Goss Chiropractic.